Teaching and Learning
Our curriculum statement highlights the emphasis we place on enabling our pupils to access a curriculum that is best suited to their needs and starting points; one which develops key skills in the core subjects, provides opportunities to broaden life and experiences and supports our children to be the very best that they can be, helping them to become successful, independent and motivated learners whilst, crucially, challenging them to aspire to achieve at the highest level.
At Springfield Academy, we provide a broad and varied curriculum which is appropriate and relevant to our school community, but has the National Curriculum 2014 and Development Matters at its heart. We provide creative and inclusive opportunities to ensure high standards of achievement and progress are attained. Whilst core subjects are a clear focus for our school, the wider curriculum holds equal standing and focus. We make effective use of external visitors and educational visits, which enrich learning; our work as a rights respecting school and the variety of sporting opportunities and clubs we offer are all part of the wider curriculum.
Our Curriculum has three broad aims. It should enable all young people to become:
- Successful learners, who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve
- Confident individuals who are able to live safe, health and fulfilling lives with a sense of self-worth and personal identity and the ability to form good relationships with others
- Responsible citizens, who make a positive contribution to society by valuing and respecting others and the environment and who take an active role in their school and wider community
Our curriculum gives opportunity for children to achieve and develop a love of learning and is dynamic, so that it can be tailored to changing needs and circumstances.
The following principles underpin our philosophy of education:
- The curriculum meets the needs and interests of all learners
- A broad, balanced and challenging curriculum is an entitlement for all learners
- The curriculum is integrated with effective teaching, learning and assessment
- The curriculum is at the heart of our school’s strategies to raise achievement and improve outcomes for all learners
Our curriculum will:
- Be creative and tailored to the needs of our children, in an approach to develop children’s knowledge skills and understanding and the ability to apply these in all areas of life
- Challenge our children to achieve highly and aspire to success
- Be holistic in approach to learning, ensuring that all children feel values and included
- Be focused on developing a love and passion for learning
- Be planned to develop imagination and creativity
- Be personalised, encouraging children to develop ideas and respond to challenges in their own way and encouraging excellence
- Ensure that every child has the opportunity to experience success and recognition
- Encourage learning and teaching that is fun and exciting to prepare children for now and for the future
- Include opportunities for children to grow in confidence and broaden their experiences through clubs, performances, visits and links with the community many of which are entirely unique to our school thanks to the extremely close links we have with Haughton Academy (also based in the Education Village).